The YWCA offers a variety of groups to assist survivors and non-offending family members with healing from the trauma of sexual assault. Clients are able to challenge their feelings of isolation and receive support from peers by participating in group counseling. While specific groups may vary from site to site, groups are typically offered to adult survivors of child sexual abuse, child and teen survivors of sexual violence, and parents. Groups may focus on a specific theme (boundaries, safety, empowerment), may utilize a form of expressive therapy (photography, poetry, art) to engage clients in the healing process, or focus on providing information about sexual assault/abuse and coping skills. Group services are offered regularly across all of our service locations.
Current Support Groups:
New Year…New You! (English Flyer)
Unlock your potential by setting goals that will help you to create the life that you desire and deserve! YWCA Metropolitan Chicago will be hosting a goal-setting workshop for adults who have been impacted by sexual violence. This workshop will provide a safe, supportive environment where survivors can:
- Practice self-compassion & self-love
- Set small goals that can make big differences
- Create art that will inspire positive change
Feel free to bring your favorite pictures, quotes, or anything that will make the vision for your life come alive!
The workshop is open to adult survivors of childhood and/or adult sexual abuse. Individuals of any gender or sexual orientation are welcome.
Where: YWCA Metropolitan Chicago RISE Center
When: Wednesday, January 23rd, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM
If you are interested in attending, please contact Trissa Dodson at (312) 762-2730. RSVP is preferred but not required. Please RSVP by January 16th.
Somewhere Over the Rainbow: Support for LGBTQIA Survivors (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago will be hosting an 8-week therapy group for LGBTQIA identifying individuals impacted by sexual violence. This group will be a safe, supportive space where survivors can join in:
- Exploring the intersections of identity and sexual violence
- Processing the impact of sexual trauma and violence within the LGBTQIA identity.
- Fostering connection and community with other survivors.
The group is open to LGBTQIA identifying adult survivors of sexual abuse.
Where: YWCA Cynthia B. Lafuente Center
When: Mondays, January 28th to March 25th, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM
If you are interested in attending, contact Adrianne Harkless at 312.762.2778 or Alex Champagne at 312.229.7251. All interested individuals must complete an intake and RSVP is required. Spots are limited. Please RSVP by January 18, 2019.
Más Fuertes Juntos: Grupo para Padres/Cuidadores Inmigrantes (Spanish Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago los invita a un grupo creativo en español para padres y cuidadores inmigrantes. El grupo será enfocado en las experiencias de inmigración y cómo estas afectan el cuidado y apoyo de sus hijos que han sobrevivido el abuso sexual.
El grupo ofrecerá un espacio seguro de apoyo para que padres puedan reflexionar sobre sus experiencias, compartir recursos y utilizar medios creativos para procesar temas como:
- Los factores estresantes en el ambiente político actual
- El impacto que tienen las diferentes interpretaciones culturales del abuso sexual sobre las familias
- Los retos de navegar procesos legales siendo un padre inmigrante
- La separación familiar debido a cuestiones de inmigración y/o abuso sexual infantil
- Las emociones difíciles relacionadas con el abuso sexual infantil
- El manejo del autocuidado
Podemos acomodar hasta 8 personas. Por favor de confirmar su participación lo más pronto que pueda.
Donde: YWCA RISE Center
Cuando: Los jueves, 12:00pm-1:30pm
Fechas del grupo seran determinadas pronto
Si le gustaría participar, por favor de contactar a Gabriela Alvarado (312) 762-2732 o Kelin Hall
Stronger Together: Group for Immigrant Parents and Caretakers (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago invites you to a creative processing group in Spanish for immigrant parents and caregivers. The group will be focused on immigration experiences and how these affect the care and support of children who have survived sexual abuse.
The group will offer a safe, supportive space for parents to reflect on their experiences, share resources and use creative means to process issues such as:
- The stressors faced in the current political climate
- The impact of different cultural interpretations of sexual abuse on families
- The challenges of navigating legal processes as an immigrant parent
- Family separation due to immigration issues and/or child sexual abuse
- Difficult emotions related to child sexual abuse
- The management of self-care
We can accommodate up to 8 people. Please confirm your participation as soon as you can.
Where: YWCA RISE Center
When: Thursdays, 12:00pm-1:30pm
Start date to be determined
If you’d like to participate, please contact Gabriela Alvarado (312) 762-2732 or Kelin Hall