The YWCA offers a variety of groups to assist survivors and non-offending family members with healing from the trauma of sexual assault. Clients are able to challenge their feelings of isolation and receive support from peers by participating in group counseling. While specific groups may vary from site to site, groups are typically offered to adult survivors of child sexual abuse, child and teen survivors of sexual violence, and parents. Groups may focus on a specific theme (boundaries, safety, empowerment), may utilize a form of expressive therapy (photography, poetry, art) to engage clients in the healing process, or focus on providing information about sexual assault/abuse and coping skills. Group services are offered regularly across all of our service locations.
Current Support Groups:
Facing our Shame Together (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago is hosting an 8-week group for survivors impacted by sexual violence. This group will be open to female-identified survivors, aged 25 and over. This group will be a safe, supportive space where you can join other individuals in:
- Exploring the way shame influences how we view ourselves.
- Learning effective ways of combatting shame.
- Fostering self-compassion.
Members will be empowered to discuss, define, and recognize the impact of shame in their lives and identify ways to live whole-heartedly.
Where: YWCA Patterson & McDaniel Family Center
When: Tuesdays, July 9th to August 27th, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM
All interested individuals must complete an intake. If you are interested in attending, please contact Gwendolyn Tinajero at 630-580-8351 or Claire Dixon at 630-580-3127.
Más Fuertes Juntos: Grupo para Padres/Cuidadores Inmigrantes (Spanish Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago los invita a un grupo creativo en español para padres y cuidadores inmigrantes. El grupo será enfocado en las experiencias de inmigración y cómo estas afectan el cuidado y apoyo de sus hijos que han sobrevivido el abuso sexual.
El grupo ofrecerá un espacio seguro de apoyo para que padres puedan reflexionar sobre sus experiencias, compartir recursos y utilizar medios creativos para procesar temas como:
- Los factores estresantes en el ambiente político actual
- El impacto que tienen las diferentes interpretaciones culturales del abuso sexual sobre las familias
- Los retos de navegar procesos legales siendo un padre inmigrante
- La separación familiar debido a cuestiones de inmigración y/o abuso sexual infantil
- Las emociones difíciles relacionadas con el abuso sexual infantil
- El manejo del autocuidado
Podemos acomodar hasta 8 personas. Por favor de confirmar su participación lo más pronto que pueda.
Donde: YWCA RISE Center
Cuando: Los jueves, 12:00pm-1:30pm
Fechas del grupo seran determinadas pronto
Si le gustaría participar, por favor de contactar a Gabriela Alvarado (312) 762-2732 o Kelin Hall
Stronger Together: Group for Immigrant Parents and Caretakers (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago invites you to a creative processing group in Spanish for immigrant parents and caregivers. The group will be focused on immigration experiences and how these affect the care and support of children who have survived sexual abuse.
The group will offer a safe, supportive space for parents to reflect on their experiences, share resources and use creative means to process issues such as:
- The stressors faced in the current political climate
- The impact of different cultural interpretations of sexual abuse on families
- The challenges of navigating legal processes as an immigrant parent
- Family separation due to immigration issues and/or child sexual abuse
- Difficult emotions related to child sexual abuse
- The management of self-care
We can accommodate up to 8 people. Please confirm your participation as soon as you can.
Where: YWCA RISE Center
When: Thursdays, 12:00pm-1:30pm
Start date to be determined
If you’d like to participate, please contact Gabriela Alvarado (312) 762-2732 or Kelin Hall
Sex and Intimacy Adult Psychotherapy Group (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago is hosting an 8-week group for adults who have experienced sexual violence to explore how trauma has affected their relationship to sex and intimacy. This group will be a safe, supportive space where you can join other survivors in:
- Discussing emotions surrounding sexual intimacy
- Learning to navigate triggers related to sexual intimacy
- Exploring the impact of trauma on sexual behaviors
- Increasing one’s capacity for self-care and pleasure
The group is open to adult survivors of both childhood and adult sexual abuse.
Where: YWCA Cynthia B, LaFuente Center
When: Thursdays, 6:30pm-8:30pm
8 weeks September 12, 2019 – October 31, 2019
Mindfulness Group: From Mind Full to Mindful (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago is hosting an 8- week skills group for adult survivors of sexual assault/abuse. This group is for those who are interested in learning how to live with more intentionality and awareness. In a safe and non-judgmental space, join other survivors in:
- Building your own mindfulness practice
- Sharing your experiences of using mindfulness techniques
- Navigating through your thoughts, emotions, and actions
*No prior mindfulness skills needed*
Note: This group is open to survivors of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and spiritual or non-spiritual backgrounds.
Where: YWCA Laura Parks and Mildred Francis Center
When: Mondays, 9:30am-11:00am
8 weeks September 16, 2019 – November 4, 2019