CONSTRUCT@YWCAChicago is an eight-week training program that addresses basic skills in math and English, as well as, fundamental construction skills, general work readiness, and financial management in the context of preparing for careers in the construction or utility sectors. To learn more about this program, please contact Shquestra Sitawi at (773) 955-3100 or email email@example.com.
All materials and tools provided.
We will post information on the next round of informational sessions once recruitment for the next cohort begins.
Additional Project Offerings:
- Limited transportation assistance
- Opportunity to spend the day at a work site to learn more about the work
- Employment coaching and job placement assistance
- Post-employment support
- Male & Female, age 18 yrs. and older
- High school diploma or GED
- Birth Certificate
- Must be able to pass multiple drug screenings
- Must be able to pass a background check – No Felonies
- Have reliable transportation to travel locally
- Possess a clean driving record
- Higher pay. Average first year wages range from $10 – $17 per hour. With additional experience and training, a woman can earn as much as $45.00 per hour.
- Paid benefits such as health insurance, vacation/sick leave and retirement
- Construction jobs offer classroom training as well as on-the-job training.
Typical Entry-Level Jobs:
- Utility Line Locator/ Damage Prevention Technician
- Utility Construction Laborer
- Field Technician
- General Utility Worker
What do I need to be successful?
- Must possess good math and reading skills
- Must be able to work outdoors and in all types of weather conditions
- Must be able to work in confined spaces, walk, bend, and lift up to 75 pounds
Construct Gives Graduates a Foot in the Construction Door (Courtesy ABC 7 Chicago)