The YWCA offers a variety of groups to assist survivors and non-offending family members with healing from the trauma of sexual assault. Clients are able to challenge their feelings of isolation and receive support from peers by participating in group counseling. While specific groups may vary from site to site, groups are typically offered to adult survivors of child sexual abuse, child and teen survivors of sexual violence, and parents. Groups may focus on a specific theme (boundaries, safety, empowerment), may utilize a form of expressive therapy (photography, poetry, art) to engage clients in the healing process, or focus on providing information about sexual assault/abuse and coping skills. Group services are offered regularly across all of our service locations.
Current Support Groups:
Creative Identities: Bridging the Gap Between Your Story and Yourself (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago will be hosting an 8-week therapy group for adult survivors of sexual violence to creatively explore the impact of sexual trauma on their sense of identity.
This group will be a safe, supportive space to:
- Explore the intersections of identity and sexual trauma
- Experience your trauma narrative through a variety of creative expression techniques, including prose, poetry, art etc.
- Increase your understanding of how trauma impacts multiple areas of your life
- Provide and receive support from individuals with like experiences
The group is open to adult survivors of both childhood and adult sexual abuse; and survivors of any gender or sexual orientation.
Where: YWCA RISE Center
When: Mondays, June 25th to August 13th, 6:30-8:00 pm
Spots are limited. RSVP is required. If you are interested in attending, contact Adrianne Harkless at 312.762.2778 or Aviva Rosenberg at 312.762.2749. All interested individuals must complete an intake to determine group readiness. Registration deadline is June 1st.
#MeToo: Sexual Harassment Workshop (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago will be hosting a workshop for individuals who have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace. This workshop will be a safe, supportive, and educational space to connect with others who share similar experiences. Members will be empowered to discuss concerns related to these experiences and will be able to join others in brainstorming ways to navigate these situations.
Goals for the workshop include:
- Define sexual harassment
- Discuss the ways in which sexual harassment is being discussed in the media
- Explore the various impact that sexual harassment has on one’s life
- Learn strategies to cope with the impact of sexual harassment
The workshop is open to survivors of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
Where: YWCA RISE Center
When: Wednesday, July 11th, 6:30-8:00 pm
Spots are limited. RSVP highly-encourages. If you are interested in attending, please contact Aviva Rosenberg at 312-762- 2746 or Yurianna Reyes at 312-762-2729.
Más Fuertes Juntos: Grupo para Padres/Cuidadores Inmigrantes (Spanish Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago los invita a un grupo creativo en español para padres y cuidadores inmigrantes. El grupo será enfocado en las experiencias de inmigración y cómo estas afectan el cuidado y apoyo de sus hijos que han sobrevivido el abuso sexual.
El grupo ofrecerá un espacio seguro de apoyo para que padres puedan reflexionar sobre sus experiencias, compartir recursos y utilizar medios creativos para procesar temas como:
- Los factores estresantes en el ambiente político actual
- El impacto que tienen las diferentes interpretaciones culturales del abuso sexual sobre las familias
- Los retos de navegar procesos legales siendo un padre inmigrante
- La separación familiar debido a cuestiones de inmigración y/o abuso sexual infantil
- Las emociones difíciles relacionadas con el abuso sexual infantil
- El manejo del autocuidado
Podemos acomodar hasta 8 personas. Por favor de confirmar su participación lo más pronto que pueda.
Donde: YWCA RISE Center
Cuando: Los jueves, 12:00pm-1:30pm
Fechas del grupo seran determinadas pronto
Si le gustaría participar, por favor de contactar a Gabriela Alvarado (312) 762-2732 o Kelin Hall
Stronger Together: Group for Immigrant Parents and Caretakers (English Flyer)
YWCA Metropolitan Chicago invites you to a creative processing group in Spanish for immigrant parents and caregivers. The group will be focused on immigration experiences and how these affect the care and support of children who have survived sexual abuse.
The group will offer a safe, supportive space for parents to reflect on their experiences, share resources and use creative means to process issues such as:
- The stressors faced in the current political climate
- The impact of different cultural interpretations of sexual abuse on families
- The challenges of navigating legal processes as an immigrant parent
- Family separation due to immigration issues and/or child sexual abuse
- Difficult emotions related to child sexual abuse
- The management of self-care
We can accommodate up to 8 people. Please confirm your participation as soon as you can.
Where: YWCA RISE Center
When: Thursdays, 12:00pm-1:30pm
Start date to be determined
If you’d like to participate, please contact Gabriela Alvarado (312) 762-2732 or Kelin Hall